The land of smiles – Thailand – is known for its many travel destinations. This beautiful country offers several amazing beaches, unique temples and mansions, small towns and villages, and many others!
Speaking of top beach destinations, many think of the famous Patong Beach in Phuket, Railay Beach in Krabi, or Long Beach in Koh Lanta, among many others. However, one beach destination that has all the rage these days is Khao Lak beach.
That said, here’s what you need to know about Khao Lak Beach.
What to know
Khao Lak is located in Phang Nga province on the western coast of Thailand’s southern peninsula. It is mainly in the Takua Pa District and partly in the Thai Mueang District of Phang Nga province in Thailand. The name “Khao Lak” means “Lak Mountain,” which is one of the main peaks in the hilly small mountainous region.
Khao Lak beach has a series of villages which has now become a tourist hotspot. The entire place consists of the 12-km coastline of serene, grand beaches bordered by palm trees and casuarinas, a nearby national park with waterfalls, and forest-covered hills, as well as rivers and swamps lingering its valleys.
How to get there
Getting to Khao Lak is relatively simple and straightforward. Below are some of the ways you can get there:
● Phuket International Airport: Khao Lak is about 70 km north of Phuket International Airport. Traveling via a car can take about an hour. Another option is a taxi from the airport to Khao Lak. Phuket Airport is the nearest airport to Khaolak with direct flights to/from Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, and Bangkok – Thailand.
● Krabi International Airport: Khao Lak is about 120 km south from Krabi International Airport and takes about two hours to get there by car.
● Bangkok’s southern terminal: Direct and VIP buses leave Bangkok’s southern terminal on a daily basis.
● Train from Bangkok to Surat Thani: Another option is to catch a train from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then travel by bus to Khao Lak.
What to do and where to go
If you’re wondering what to do in Khao Lak, here are a few places to visit and activities to do:
● Waterfalls: Explore the cascading waterfalls such as Saeng Thong, Lam Roo, and Chong Fa. Either cool off in the waterfalls’ pools or try jungle trekking, rafting, jeep safaris, and elephant trekking.
● Bay: Take a boat cruise or kayak through Phang Nga Bay with its unique limestone rock formations and sea gypsy village.
● Park: Venture further north to Khao Sok in neighboring Surat Thani, which is southern Thailand’s oldest and largest national park. Canoe through the remarkable scenery with lakeside wildlife viewing, trekking, and camping.
● Island hopping: Explore Similan Islands, which is Thailand’s premier diving destination. Nearby Tap Lamu Pier is the closest departure point for the Similans’ scuba and snorkeling adventures.
● Entertainment: Drop by some bars and beachside restaurants where you can savor the sunset over the Andaman Sea.
● Dining: Choose different places to dine each night. Good quality international seafood and Thai cuisine are available at most resort and hotel restaurants.
● People: Get to know the locals and their unique culture. There are roughly around 5,000 inhabitants who are mainly Thais and Chinese working as farmers or fishers.
Khao Lak beach has much to offer. With all the nature’s wonders, Khao Lak beach is indeed a paradise waiting to be explored and savored. If you’re up to visit the place for a vacation, consider some of the valuable information mentioned above to have a wonderful time.
Apsara Beachfront Resort and Villa offers premium accommodations for your next visit to Khao
Lak. Get in touch with us and book your stay at our beachfront resort today!